What You Need To Know About Train Travel
Passengers should get to the train station not later than 60 minutes before departure for an easy check-in (document examination and security checks) and boarding experience. The final call for boarding the train is made 11 minutes to departure time and the gates to the platform close 10 minutes before departure time. To access the platform area, simply hold the QR Code on your ticket against the scanner on the entry gate to open it.
- Online: Enjoy the convenience of booking a ride on the Madaraka Express Passenger Service through our online booking platform(metickets.krc.co.ke). It's quick and easy-to-use. Payment is made via M-pesa. One can book up to a maximum of ten (10) persons per transaction with the online platform.
- In person: Over the counter at the nearest Madaraka Express Passenger Service station.
- By phone. Utilizing the USSD Payment Solution by dialing *639# on your Safaricom line and following the steps as prompted. One can book up to a maximum of ten (10) persons per transaction with the USSD Payment Solution. Payment is made via M-pesa
Passengers can purchase a ticket up to sixty (60) days in advance and a return ticket as long as it is within the sixty (60) days window period. Passengers are advised to have original identification documents when booking over the counter and during the journey.
The Madaraka Express Passenger Service offers three types of train service each making two round-trips a day.
- The Inter-county train runs in the morning and makes stopovers in Athi River, Emali, Kibwezi, Mtito Andei, Voi, Miasenyi and Mariakani county stations.
- The Afternoon Express train makes a stopover at Voi station.
- The Night train does not make any stops along the way.
Mombasa – Nairobi
The Inter-county (morning) train departs Mombasa Terminus at 8:00 am and arrives in Nairobi at 2:08 pm.
The afternoon Express train departs Mombasa Terminus at 3:00 pm and arrives in Nairobi at 8:18 pm.
The Night Express train departs Mombasa Terminus at 10:00 pm and arrives in Nairobi at 03:35 am.
Nairobi – Mombasa
The Inter-county (morning) train departs Nairobi Terminus at 8:00 am arrives in Mombasa at 2:00 pm.
The afternoon Express train departs Nairobi Terminus at 3:00 pm and arrives in Mombasa at 8:30 pm.
The Night Express train departs Nairobi Terminus at 10:00 pm and arrives in Nairobi at 3:35 am.
The following Original Identification Documents are accepted. Passengers should bring either of these documents during booking and on the day of travelling:
- Kenya National Identity Card
- Valid Passport
- Huduma Card
- Alien ID card
- Kenya Military Identity Card
- Diplomatic ID
- New Generation/Smart Driving Licence
- Police Abstract Indicating Loss of Identity Card
- Valid National ID Waiting Card
Copies (in hard or soft copies) of the above listed documents will NOT be accepted.
Children can travel free of charge up to the age of three (3) years. Children aged four (4) to eleven (11) years must purchase a ticket which is usually half (50% off) of the adult fare. At twelve (12) years of age and above, one must purchase a ticket at the full adult fare.
Children below 13 years must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
Cases where a passenger desires to change his/her travel, the following rescheduling and refund procedure shall be observed:
- Requests for cancellation of travel and refund are done over the counter at the nearest Madaraka Express Passenger Service station.
- Requests for canceling and refund of already purchased tickets should be submitted at least forty-eight (48) hours before the departure time indicated on the ticket.
- In order to cancel a ticket, one must provide the original identification documents and a photocopy of the same
- Refunds shall be subject to the customer paying a 30% fee of the fare.
- Upon submission of the request, the passenger shall receive the refund within two weeks.
- Requests for a refund will be rejected in cases where the tickets are damaged.
- Requests for rescheduling already purchased tickets must be submitted at least forty-eight (48) hours before the departure time indicated on the ticket.
- Rescheduling of tickets is done using the details provided during the initial booking instance i.e same class, same service, same person.
- Tickets are rescheduled over the counter at the nearest Madaraka Express Passenger Service station.
- Rescheduling a ticket will attract a 10% fee of the fare.
- A ticket can only be rescheduled once. A ticket that has been rescheduled once cannot be refunded.
You cannot transfer a ticket from one holder to another.
You can check availability of seats online (metickets.krc.co.ke) or via the USSD Payment Solution (*639#)
Yes. Whenever your item is confiscated because it is prohibited, kindly leave us with your details. You can pick the item at a later date or send a representative to pick for you.
Yes. We accept VISA and Master Cards
Each passenger is allowed to bring items on board. The allowed maximum weight is 30 kilograms and measurement is 2 metre height by 1 metre breadth and 1 metre width. Passengers are advised to have a tag with personal details during travel.
Any property found on the train is handed in to our passenger stewards and kept safely. In order to claim lost and found items, one needs to visit the arrival station and identify the item before collecting. Notifications for lost and found items should be done within 30 days of the incident date.
Yes, one can park a vehicle overnight. He/She must inform security.
A seat is only reserved upon completion of the booking process and payment of the full ticket fee for the intended journey.
By visiting the nearest Madaraka Express Passenger Service station not later than 48 hrs prior to the departure time indicated on the ticket the customer is in possession of. One should carry along the original Identification documents of the ticket holder and a photocopy of the same. This will attract a charge (30% of the ticket fee) to be paid in cash.
Two main stations at Mombasa and Nairobi and seven intermediate stations at Mariakani, Miasenyi, Voi, Mtito Andei, Kibwezi, Emali, Athi River The railway stations are well developed with excellent facilities which include
- Cafés, restaurants and shops
- Elevators, escalators and access for disabled passengers
- Well lit stair case
- Spacious passenger lobby
- Self-service machines for printing tickets
- Rest rooms
Your e-ticket number or e-ticket confirmation code is a string of seven (7) letters that can be found on the message received on your upon booking via the USSD Payment Solution (*639#) or online (https//metickets.krc.co.ke). The message also indicates your train departure, travel date, route (from – to), coach number and seat number.
On occasions, the system may fail to send the ticket purchase confirmation message. In such cases, the M-pesa transaction message received upon payment can be utilized to print the ticket at the train station before departure. One is required to key in the mobile number used to transact and the account number the funds were sent to (contained in the M-pesa message) in order to print the ticket.
If your paper ticket is lost or stolen; you’ll need to purchase a new one in order to travel.
In consideration of the safety of other passengers, Management notes that: Pets are likely to carry viruses and bacteria thus posing a danger to other passengers. Pets are also likely to be offensive to the passengers, especially odour and excreta of pets may pollute the environment in the train and cause discomfort for other passengers. For this reasons, KR Management prohibits bringing pets onboard the train.
Yes. You can print your train ticket at the station at the self-service machines found at the ticketing offices at all stations prior to boarding the train. You can do this on the day of your travel, or anytime prior. In case of any challenges, kindly seek assistance of the Passenger Stewards at the ticketing office. Tickets can also be printed over the counter.
A valid train ticket must indicate:
- Ticket Number
- Route direction
- Departure time
- Date of travel
- Coach number
- Seat number
- Passengers name
- Passenger ID Number
- Twenty-five (25) digit Serial number
- Square barcode
Snacks, beverages, or meals are on sale onboard the train. NAS Serve Air Ltd is the onboard Catering service provider.
The booking office opens at 6:30 am and closes at 10:00 pm. Selling of tickets for travel on the Madaraka Express Passenger Service trains between Mombasa and Suswa stops 10 minutes before departure for each trip.
The Madaraka Express Passenger Service between Mombasa and Nairobi operates every day.
The Madaraka Express Commuter Service between Nairobi Terminus and Ngong station operates every Monday to Friday.
The Madaraka Express Passenger Service Leisure train between Nairobi Terminus and Suswa station in Narok County operates every Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
For enquiries reach us on 0709 388887 between 6:30 am and 8:30 pm.
The Nairobi Terminus is located in Syokimau area of Nairobi County; 20 kilometres away from the Nairobi CBD.
Mombasa Terminus is located in Miritini area of Mombasa County; 11 kilometres away from Mombasa CBD.
Passengers who have booked travel to Mombasa on the Madaraka Express can catch the Link train at:
- 6:35 am for those traveling on the Madaraka Express Inter-county (morning) train
- 12:50 pm for those traveling on the Express (afternoon) train
- 8:10 pm for those traveling on the Ni (morning) train
- 3:50 am from Nairobi Terminus to Nairobi Central station for passengers arriving from Mombasa on the Night train
- 2:30 pm from Nairobi Terminus to Nairobi Central station for passengers arriving from Mombasa on the Inter-county (morning) train
- 8:30 pm from Nairobi Terminus to Nairobi Central station for passengers arriving from Mombasa on the Express (afternoon) train